Clinton's Lawyer gets the last laugh: Paula Jones settlement check tied up
Attorneys argue over proceeds to Clintons $850,000 check.
Paula Jones may have a settlement check from President Bill Clinton for $850,000, but she can't cash it, can't draw interest on it and may have to watch it expire. It seems when the president's lawyer, Bob Bennett, drafted the check on his law firm account on Jan. 12, he added a few other names behind that of JonesE
Robert Bennett, Clinton's lawyer, sincerely wants to make sure everyone gets paid
Bennett added about seven names names of lawyers. Two of them are Joseph Cammarata and Gil Davis, Jones first set of attorneys who helped her win a victory at the Supreme Court that set a trial in motion.
Then there are the names of her second legal team Rader, Campbell, Fisher & Pyke the Dallas lawyers who pushed her case ahead and exposed both the Jane Does and Monica Lewinksy.
Another name on the check is that of William McMillan, III, the husband of Jones confident, Susan Carpenter-McMillan and Jones last lawyer in the settlement talks.
JonesEformer Texas law firm asked the District Court on Wednesday to order all the parties to endorse the check and put it into an interest-bearing account under the control of the federal court in Little Rock. They noted that checks not acted upon within 90-days become stale and overdue.
| || |
| MSNBC Interactive |
| || || |
| || |
| || The Lewinsky Saga |
How did we get to this point? Here is a guide to the key dates in the saga.
The Lewinsky saga
| || || |
All the lawyers are now engaged in a nasty fight over how the settlement shall be divided. The team of Cammarata and Davis has filed a lien against Jones for fees and expenses that they say reach $874,571.36 more than the entire check.
The Texas law firm led by Donovan Campbell fired back in court that the first team abandoned the case and that their legal work was riddled with malpractice.
A hearing to decide all this will probably be set in April before Judge Susan Webber Wright. She is unlikely to cut the first set of lawyers out of any settlement. When she accepted their withdrawal from the case in the fall of 1997, she noted the first team had been effective and zealous in their representation of Jones.
EVERYONE MUST ENDORSE
For now, the Campbell legal team has asked the judge to order everyone named on the check to endorse it and to then order it deposited. This could mean the most famous settlement check in American history would be shipped back and forth across the country before settling in an Arkansas bank account to await a court decision.
All of this has courthouse observers in Little Rock wondering if Bennett isn't, at least, getting a last chuckle, if not the last laugh on the case which has brought his client to the brink of losing office.
Ron Blome is a producer for NBC News, covering matters related to President Clinton in the presidents home state of Arkansas.
Dershowitz Goes After Bennett....
Here are links:
Return to my Home PageContact address - please send e-mail to the following address: Sloan@ishipress.com
- Congratulations, Paula Jones!
- Clinton attorneys say president should pay $33,737, not $500,000
- Paula Jones, John Whitehead, Donovan Campbell, Jerry Falwell and the kidnappers of my daughter, Shamema Sloan
- Demand for Retraction of Misrepresentations Made Regarding John W. Whitehead
- Initial reply to Demand for Retraction of Misrepresentations Made Regarding John W. Whitehead
- Starr forced Lewinsky to change her testimony in exchange for immunity deal, reports AP
- Photo of Three Assholes: Representatives Asa Hutchinson, Bill McCollum and Ed Bryant
- Surprise Everyone! Senator Trent Lott is a member of a White-Supremacist Group
- Atlanta Law Journal Reports - Congressman Bob Barr is a fraud and a fake.
- Legal Documents filed in Jones vs. Clinton case
- Download legal brief detailing testimony concerning oral sex performed by Paula Jones in a bar parking lot. (1.2 MB)
- Raising the Impeachment Barr
- Raising the Impeachment Barr - A key House trial manager claims a far stronger prosecutorial history than the record indicates
- Clinton Nemesis Bob Barr Voices Doubt on Senate
- From the Law News Network: Charles Ruff - The Senate finally hears from a real lawyer.
- Congressman Bob Barr's Home Page
- Publisher Larry Flynt levels accusations at Rep. Bob Barr
- President Clinton vs. Thomas Jefferson
- The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson
- Order "The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson" from Amazon Books
- Order "The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson" from Barnes and Noble
- Movies cited on Sam Sloan's web sites
- Books cited on Sam Sloan's web sites