Conversation between Marinza Bruineman and Manhattan DA Linda Fairstein
FANTASTIC NEWS: December 21, 1999: The Jovanovic conviction in the "Cybersex Torture Case" has just been reversed. Check your morning newspapers, as this news will be in every newspaper in New York, possibly in every newspaper in the USA.
The grounds for reversal were exactly the grounds which have been cited on this web site, that evidence was withheld from the jury vital to the defense.
The Silent Invasion - Breast Cancer
Here news articles about this decision:
I called Linda Fairstein in March, 1997.
I called her in indignation about what happened to Oliver Jovanovic vs. what happened to Paul Krath.
In February a man named Paul Krath had been arrested, a picture of him being led away in handcuffs was in the Post.
Two days later he was released on $35,000 bail. Linda Fairstein dropped the case almost immediately when the cops provided her with a tape on which the accusing woman had said that she had a great time, and would like to see him again.
Paul is now busy suing the city for false arrest.
At the time I called Fairstein to complain.
She picked up the phone immediately and here follows the conversation:
F. What can I do for you?
M. Nothing, I would like to file a complaint against your office in regards to Oliver Jovanovic.
M. How come this guy Krath is let go, and Oliver still does not have his computers back?
F. Oh, that is a whole different story・
M. I don't think so, they met the same way, it was very similar・How come Paul Krath's
bail was set for $35,000 and Oliver Jovanovic's bail was ten times that much??
F. Oh, those two situations are totally different.
M. Tell me something, what kind of monster is he that warranted half a million dollars bail?
F. Based on the evidence I found in his apartment I have reason to believe that he has
committed this crime.
(Note that I had already seen the evidence list - with zipdiddlysquat on it・except for floppies, computers and books and video tapes・
M. What was in the evidence?
F. I cannot tell you that now.
M. I would like to know what danger I'm in with this guy.
F. The evidence will become public during trial.
M. Tell me something then, doesn't it behoove you as a woman to tell another woman what
grave danger she may be in at the hands of this monster?
F. He poses no danger to the average woman on the streets of New York, just don't go to
his apartment, he is into tying women up, and believe me, no women in New York like to
be tied up.
M. That is ALL???!!!!
F. Yes. Why don't you come to my office and we'll talk.
(we set a date for Monday 4/17/97 but I never went).
UPDATE: The appeal in the Jovanovic case was argued before the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York on February 2, 1999: 'Cybersex' Appeal Raises Shield Law, Consent Issues.
Oliver Jovanovic has been in jail for more than one year now, for a crime for which no informed jury would have convicted him. Meanwhile, the New York Post has come out again against this conviction.
Manhattan Sex Crimes Prosecutor Linda Fairstein, on a book selling tour, gloats to the Times of London about how she successfully hid evidence from the jury about this case. See: SEX CRIMES AND THE CITY; INTERVIEW; LINDA FAIRSTEIN - Times of London , Saturday, October 30, 1999.
What do you think? Express your opinion in the guestbook!
Here are links:
Contact address - please send e-mail to the following address: Sloan@ishipress.com
- Former Chess Prodigy Convicted in Cyber-Sex Torture Trial
- New York Post - JUSTICE TAKES A HOLIDAY FOR REAL CYBER-SEX VICTIM
- Nightmares of the net, by Lisa Rosenthal in World Net Daily
- Oliver Jovanovic: First Sacrifice of the Digital Age, by Sandro Cohen
- Psychology Today - Cybersex; trail shows post-modern courtship as reflected in e-mail exchanges
- David H. Figurski, Professor of Microbiology, writes that conviction and sentencing of Oliver Jovanovic has adverse consequences for the future of the entire human race
- ANGRY JUDGE SLAPS 'TERRORIST' CYBERFIEND WITH 15-TO-LIFE
- Cybersadist Gets 15 to Life in Jail
- Defendant in Internet Torture Case Gets 15 Years
- Sam Sloan confesses that he personally committed acts for which Jovanovic was sentenced to 15 years
- Man Convicted of Abusing Woman He Met Via Internet
- El s疆ico que dijo: No Oliver Jovanovic: Primer sacrificio de la era digital
- The Wall Street Journal, Monday, April 20, 1998: Don't shield Juries from the Truth in Sex Cases
- Letters from Jamie Rzucek to Oliver Jovanovic, which the jury was not allowed to see
- Doctors Rebut Accuser in Internet Torture Trial
- New York Rape Shield Law
- GAL PAL 'VICTIM' KNEW R0PES 0F GAME
- Crimes and Punishment: The New York Daily News
- Justice for Oliver Jovanovic?
- Meet Jamie Rzucek a/k/a "Madame X"
- Profile of Judge William Wetzel
- Linda Fairstein, Prosecutor of Oliver Jovanovic and author of "Likely to Die"
- Twinkle, Twinkle Little Stars
- Cyber 'perv' meets 'cyberbabe'
- Free Oliver Jovanovic (or OJ) homepage
- Your Guide to Bondage/Discipline/S&M
- JOVANOVIC'S LAWYER VOWS HE'LL APPEAL
- FRONT PAGE: THE NEW YORK POST: Cybersex Chess Torture "conviction in the courtroom of Judge William Wetzel is the worst miscarriage of justice since they abolished lynching."
- The Injustice Line - A web site devoted to exposing and publicizing injustices.
- Salon Newsreal: WHO SAYS WOMEN NEVER LIE ABOUT RAPE?