Letter to TLC Administrative Law Judge Randy Frances Kandel
Samuel H. Sloan
39-75 56th Street, Apt. 5A
Woodside NY 11377-8904
January 24, 2003
Randy Frances Kandel
2733 Netherland Avenue
Riverdale, New York 10463
Re: Sloan vs. TLC, Index No. 123003/2001
Re: Samuel H. Sloan, License No. 5081212
Dear Judge Kandel,
You are the administrative law judge in a case against me brought by the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission. You conducted a hearing in July, 2002. This hearing was held at the order of Judge Diane Lebedeff of the New York Supreme Court, Case number 123003/2001. I enclose a copy of the order of the court for your reference.
In spite of conducting a hearing seven months ago, I still have not received a decision on the case, either from you or from the TLC. The TLC has a history in this case of deliberately sending me decisions to the wrong address. This is the reason why, when I was before you, I made a point of informing you of my correct address.
However, a more likely explanation is that the TLC has simply decided not to decide the case. The TLC has had a personal vendetta against me for the past several years. Even though I have a clean record as a taxi driver, the TLC is determined to make an object lesson out of me by preventing me from driving a taxi. I had to file a motion to hold the TLC in contempt of court and then to go back several times before Judge Lebedeff, before finally the TLC under threat of being held in contempt agreed to go forward with the hearing.
I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt in that you seemed not to be aware that the hearing before you was held pursuant to an order of the court. I am surprised that you did not know this, because you are a practicing lawyer and this case was publicized on the front page of the New York Law Journal. However, now you know.
This is to notify you that if you do not proceed to issue a decision forthwith I shall go back to court again and move to have the TLC and you held in contempt of court.
Also, since the TLC's proceedings against me are clearly part of a personal vendetta, and this case has now been going on for nearly two years, during which time I have not been able to work, I shall be considering filing a case against the TLC and against you in federal district court.
Very Truly Yours,
Here are links:
My Home PageContact address - please send e-mail to the following address: Sloan@ishipress.com
- Law Journal article by Randy Frances Kandel
- Great Day in Court
- Letter to Administrative Law Judge Randy Frances Kandel
- Decision of Judge Lebedeff dated May 28, 2002
- Supplemental Affidavit in Sloan vs. TLC
- Letter from TLC dated June 24, 2002
- Decision on Appeal from ALJ Michelle Manzione
- Peter Mazer, General Counsel of TLC
- Reply of Sam Sloan to the Response of the TLC
- Response of the TLC to Order to Show Cause
- A Hearing has been set in the Case of Sloan vs. TLC
- Order to Show Cause why the TLC should not be held in Contempt
- July, 2001 Decision of the TLC I did not receive until May, 2002
- Appeal from Order denying Motion to Vacate
- Affidavit in Support of Motion to Vacate
- Petition to Rehear Motion to Vacate Motion to Vacate
- Complaint to the Disciplinary Committee of the New York State Bar against Michelle Manzione
- Famous People who have Ridden in My Taxi
- Letter to Marc Hardekopf regarding TLC Appeal
- Petition to hold the TLC in Contempt
- TLC still refuses to obey court order
- Sam Sloan has filed a lawsuit in New York Supreme Court against Mayor Rudy Giuliani and the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission.
- Order to Show Cause
- "Notice of Claim"
- Notice of Intent to file Suit Against NYC Taxi and Limousine Commissioners
- Verified Answer of the TLC
- Sam Sloan has won his court case against the TLC
- The decision published in the New York Law Journal under Decisions of Interest" (Registration Required)
- Full text of the decision as published in the New York Law Journal
- Summary of the Case as Published in the New York Law Journal
- New York State Attorney Inquiry
- Smith vs. McGrath-McKechnie Memorandum of Law
- Smith vs. McGrath-McKechnie Reply Brief
- Dan Ackman, Taxi Driver's Lawyer, Home Page
- Driving My Taxi into the 21st Century: New Edition
- Driving My Taxi on June 17, 2000
- I'm Back in My Taxi Again
- Invitation to Liam
- Call Me Ismail!
- John F. Kennedy Junior rode in my taxi
- Driving My Taxi into the 21st Century
- Master Cabbie Taxi Academy
- Driving in New York City
- Test of Street Names in New York City
- So, you want to be a Taxi Driver in New York City
- La Guardia International Airport to be renamed Giuliani International Airport
- Takeoffs on Sam Sloan
- Scientists Prove: Taxi Drivers have larger brains than average
- Crackdown on Cabdrivers Could Backfire, Critics Warn
- U.S. Appeals Court Backs NYC Plan to Curb Sex Businesses
- NYC Cabbies: Reckless Menaces or Exploited Victims?
- Mayor Giuliani Declares War on New York City Taxi Drivers
- Giuliani Threatens Action If Cabbies Fail to Cancel a Protest
- NYC Column: India, Cabbies and Giuliani Are All Going Nuclear
- Wanted for Kidnapping
- The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson
- Order "The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson" by Sam Sloan, from Amazon Books
- Order "The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson" from Barnes and Noble