Index No. 2004-7739
Appellate Case: 2005-3754
Bea Marinello, Tim Hanke, Stephen Shutt, Elizabeth
Shaughnessy, Randy Bauer, Bill Goichberg, Kenneth
M. Chadwell and United States Chess Federation,
STATE OF TENNESSEE )
COUNTY OF CUMBERLAND )
Grant Perks, being duly sworn, deposes and says:
1. I have worked for the United States of America Chess Federation ("USCF") since January 4, 2005. I am presently the Chief Financial Officer, located at USCF's headquarters in Crossville, Tennessee. USCF began operating its headquarters in Crossville in or about mid-February 2005.
2. I am a Certified Public Accountant. As CFO at USCF, my duties include overseeing the financial books and accounts of USCF. I am personally familiar with the status of USCF's finances, its books of account, its revenue and expenses, payroll, salaries and wages, and all other aspects of its financial operations.
3. Ms. Marinello is an unpaid volunteer for USCF. Ms. Marinello has been serving since early January 2005 as acting Chief Operating Officer. Other volunteers include, among others, Board Members such as Tim Hanke and Elizabeth Shaughnessy. Neither Ms. Marinello, Mr. Hanke nor Ms. Shaughnessy draw any salary or wages from the USCF. They are, however, entitled to reimbursement of expenses incurred for their volunteer work on behalf of the USCF. Each request for expense reimbursement is forwarded to out accounting department for review and approval and where it is subject to audit. Upon approval of the requested expense, Mrs. Peggy Stevens of our accounting department is authorized to issue a check for the approved expense reimbursemnent amount. USCF?fs financial records are audited every year by an independent certified public accounting firm. At no time have any USCF funds been inappropriately issued to Ms. Marinello, Mr. Hanke, Ms. Shaughnessy, nor any other person to my knowledge.
4. Recent past Executive Directors have received base salaries ranging from $100,000 to $110,000 per year. If Mr. Sloan alleges that Ms. Marinello receives $60,000 a year in expense reimbursement, he is in error. Ms. Marinello receives, per Board approval, a per diem expense account of $50 per day together with reimbursement for hotel and parking and other travel expenses upon reasonable documentation. She has been reimbursed thus far this year well under $10,000. Other than expense reimbursement she receives no funds from USCF despite the extensive management services she provides as a volunteer. Ms. Shaughnessy and Mr. Hanke, as with all Board members, are authorized to be reimbursed for business expenses. They have submitted no significant requests.
5. Judy Misner, Chief Business Officer, myself as Chief Financial Officer, Peggy Stevens, Chief Accountant, Glen Petersen, Editor of ChessLife Magazine, and Jerry Nash, the Scholastic Director, all have check-writing authority on USCF's account. All checks, regardless of their amount must be signed by two individuals with authority to issue checks. Ms. Marinello and Mr. Hanke have check writing authority on the LMA Account and pension plan accounts, which are separate accounts from the USCF checking account. No unauthorized checks have been written on any account, whether LMA or otherwise.
Sworn to before me this
27th day of April , 2005.
Harry D. Sabine
My Commission Expires: 5/21/07
RIDER, WEINER & FRANKEL, RC.
P O. BOX 2280 NEWBURGH, N. Y. 12550 (845) 562-9100
My Home Page